Last week we took a look into metal straws and got more in-depth about the grass straw. Now, we're onto the next and one of the most popular plastic straw alternatives: the bamboo straw. Ever wondered about the sustainability of a bamboo straw? Or how long it takes to decompose? Read on to find out!
Pros and Cons of Bamboo Straws
Bamboo straws are trending for good reason; they're natural, eco-friendly, biodegradable and actually a truly great solution to replace the plastic that's plaguing our world. However, upon some investigation we do have some pros, cons and tips to consider before jumping to the purchase button.
Choose a company that offers organic straws: It comes as no surprise every straw isn't made with equal love and tender care. Make sure you choose a company that doesn't use pesticides, inks or dyes in the process. Be aware that some companies also use bamboo fibers and adhesives to make the sizes consistent-- we would steer away from this too.
Be prepared to suck a little harder: We mean this in the nicest way possible. A common complaint of the bamboo straw is that you have to work a little extra hard for the beverage to make it all the way up.
The size can be uncomfortable: People have compared using this straw to sucking on a crayon.
- The number one complaint with these straws is that they're the most difficult to clean compared to glass and the scrubber can get stuck inside the straw at times.
- Because they are so thick porous you have to be really careful with drying. They take some more time to fully dry but you need to ensure they are always 100% dried to prevent the formation of bacteria and mold.
- You also have to take note that bamboo comes in all different sizes and they may not all fit into the lid of your cup.
- These straws degrade in about 6 months time (if they're uncoated).
- Bamboo regenerates very quickly, making it a fantastic renewable resource.
Ultimately when searching for a sustainable straw, most bamboo straws have what's important-- an organic product that biodegrades within a year and is a renewable resource. Just be sure to purchase from companies that treat their product with integrity and don't take shortcuts to make a quick buck.
Grass straws are the most sustainable solution to the replace the plastic straw! These biodegradable straws are 100% natural, chemical-free and can be reused or disposed!